Monday, July 11, 2016

Who's Molly? and 2010

Who's watching the Olympic Trials in Track & Field still?  Some pretty amazing results by some youngsters, veterans, and all in between.  It is exciting to see our team coming together. 
It didn't come together for a friend of mine.  Her name is Molly. 
I lived in Indianapolis for five years.  In last week's post I talked about 2008.  I said I'd talk about 2010 and I asked about Molly.  In following through on "Do what you say you're going to do" --I'm going to do just that!
While living in Indy, I met Molly.  We ran in many of the same meets.  Great girl and great work ethic.  Talented and driven.  Last week, this was her part of her post on Facebook:

I have been praised a thousand times for my resiliency and strength to carry on after have a career ending knee injury in soccer, ...5 knee surgeries to correct it, and miss 2 Olympic Teams and 1 World Championship team in track by a total of .3 seconds. I appreciate all of those thoughts and prayers.
Call it terrible luck. I can call it being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Unfortunately yesterday's Olympic Trials final cuts so deep that I am having trouble believing there is a silver lining at the end of all this. It has left me searching for answers and coming up with nothing but endless tears and a knot in my stomach.
Missed 2012 and 2016 Olympics and 1 World Championship team.  0.3seconds combined over 4 years.  Mere hundredths.  What would you say to her, what would you do? As her training partner, as her coach, as a teammate or loved one?  Where would you focus?  Have you experienced something like this?  Do you know someone that has been in a similarly tough situation? 
As a coach or teammate you have to do something.  You've been there the whole way through.  You must continue to stick with this person.  Nothing you say will make the situation all that much better.  How would you handle the situation if you were Molly?  Could you carry on?  What would be your motivation?
 
So back to 2010...in the next installment.  It involved a lot of phone calls and me not being quite pushy enough.  I got told 'no' a lot.  So what did I do?


No comments:

Post a Comment