Sunday, February 11, 2018

I never wanted to quit.

     At the start of the year, my mom sent me an article via text.  I'd say I read 99% of the articles she sends.  It's a way we communicate.  She sends me the article and I read it.  When I'm in a really bad mood or when I'm really tired I usually misinterpret the reason she sent it and think, 'golly, she's being so pushy."  When all is normal, we talk about it.  
I was a little confused why she sent this particular one to me, and I rolled my eyes thinking  "What the heck is she thinking that I've quit on here?"
     The article was written by Amy Sullivan, PsyD, and it was published in the Cleveland Clinic/ Consult QD.  She titled it, "What keeps you going when you want to quit?"
Like I said, I was immediately unsure of why I was reading the article.  What was my mom trying to tell me through this article?  I looked on the right side of my phone and that the scroll bar was big.  Ok - I could get through this pretty easily, it was short.  The article talked about Amy, the author herself, her sister, and running.  
     You know how it is - if you're into elephants and your mom sees an article about elephants, she lets you know about it.  Or maybe you're into motorcycles and so anyone that knows you and is having a motorcycle issue always asks you about their bike's engine or fuel pump.  Maybe you're state patrol and so at every party someone tells you about the last time they got pulled over.  
      So yes, this article now was about running.  Easy read for me.  I moved onto the next paragraph and where Amy asks this question:  "What keeps an individual engaged and moving forward during times that we want to quit?"  
What's your answer?  


Hers is...resiliency.  

My mind was wrapped around the idea of running because that's the context in which the article is written.  When I was really focused on running and being diligent about it, I never wanted to quit.  I can't think of ONE time that I wanted to quit when I was training hard and racing.  I am incredibly grateful for that.  I realize that's why I didn't care to read this article = it didn't really apply deeply.  Although the context of running applied to me, the idea of wanting to quit never applied.  I was resilient then.  I never wanted to quit.  In fact, I recall how much I wanted to run.  I recall how I wanted to be so ready to go hard.  Each time I went hard, I grew more resilient.  
What do you call the opposite of a snowball effect (that term has a negative connotation)? Whatever the answer, I had that.  I believe many of us have that.  The harder you work consistently, the easier it is to continue working hard.  
...as long as you get enough sleep!
...and good results help, too!

Yes, her article was short.   
= Resiliency helps you not quit.  Got it.

I had a few minutes to keep reading and I read another article.  "What keeps you going when you want to quit?"  This one is by a guy that has a pretty good blog.  His name is Michael Hyatt and I like that he writes very clearly.  His answer is a bit different.  You can see the link below for his take.

Links =
https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.org
https://michaelhyatt.com/what-keeps-you-going-when-you-want-to-quit/

3 questions above:
     1) "What keeps an individual engaged and moving forward during times that we want to quit?"
     2) What is the opposite of a snowball effect? 
     3) "What keeps you going when you want to quit?"



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes she sends you an article because it reminds her of you...of a strong part of your terrific character... that you are lucky to have developed and she doesn't want you to take if for granted...and that she is very proud of you and she loves you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being engaged and moving forward ties to motivation, with internal and external factors different for every individual. I think physics concepts are most easily relatable here. Life is full of friction, so a continued application of force is required to keep moving towards a goal. External motivation involves an external application of force, whether it be your coach, family, or anything of perceived necessity that drives you to accomplish something. The internal motivation comes from your personal drive based on principles and values, though those are often times developed from external factors.
    I think the answer to your second question is negative static stability 😬
    The thought of failing, wanting to prove everyone wrong, and making the people I care most about be proud of me are typically what keeps me going.
    Your personal motivation always inspires me; don’t quit!

    ReplyDelete