Monday, June 6, 2016

Famous?

Once, back in high school, my mom and I were having a conversation about what I wanted to be when I grow-up.  We got to a point when I said that I did not want to be famous.  I was a very ambitious kid and so she continued the conversation further to understand my reasoning.
First, you've got to know two things:
1) Not until I was about 13 did I learn that Dolly Parton sang. I was with my grandmother in Tampa standing in line at the Whaley's grocery store.  I saw the magazine at the checkout counter with Dolly Parton plastered on the front.  "Grandmomma, is Dolly Parton famous for anything else besides her looks?" 
Of course I meant Dolly's bouncing bleach blonde curls, enormous boobs, miniature waist, and maybe the eyeshadow.  It was then that I learned that she sang.  And a few years later when I put her together with "I will always love you" and "Hard Candy Christmas"  which remain two of my very favorites. 
2) I am the same age as Britney Spears and had a hint of looking like her a teeny bit when I was in high school.  I did not want to end up shaving my head and having photographers constantly after me to see if I had put undies on that day.  That was too much. 
Instead, I told my mom that I wanted to be famous in my field. 
Back in April I got up to Boston to work the Boston expo.  One morning I was running with a few other NB associates along the Charles.  One guy I was with said. "that's Bill Rogers" as we passed some older man running nicely along the path in the opposite direction.  Pretty cool I thought.  Just the right amount of famous.  I continue to love the running community.
Last week I mentioned the quote about "What makes a man run?"  This week, I mention to you another quote given to me by my brother on a magnet that I also have on the side of the fridge:
"If you want to win a race, you have to go a little berserk." -- Bill Rogers
This doesn't mean you need to act stupid, be rash, or go crazy overboard. You need to realize the differences between taking a risk and knowing what is a calculated risk. 
How can you get uncomfortable?  When's the last time you did?  What scares you about getting into this realm?  What makes you hesitate?  What are you hung up on with yourself? 
When you get to 'that' part of a race or tough workout, how will you respond?
When I was training hard, I knew that was it for me.  I didn't question if I could hit the splits or do the work.  I questioned if I would go for it when planned...or would I try to rationalize at the tough moment that I should go later?  I questioned if when it got really hard would I be tough enough to dig down?  If the race went earlier than I hoped, would I step up to bat?  I worked on my self-confidence and I worked on my ego to get to a point of believing, "I can't help but go fast."  Training with this mindset got me places.  Having Bill Rogers running around in my head got me places.  I got to point where I didn't question myself.  That was incredibly freeing!  What places do you want to go?  How will you go a little berserk?

No comments:

Post a Comment